Re: Files for BootX

On Wednesday, January 18, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Dombi, George wrote:

HI Chris,

I am trying to do a similar project of loading Debian Sarge on to a Mac 6500 old world powerpc using BootX.  Your serious of discussions has been most supportive.  I have encountered the same problems, but have not yet solved them all.

I first tried and succeeded in using BootX to load Yellow Dog Linux 3.1 which worlds OK on this older mac but is slow because I only have 64 Mb of ram.  But I got the idea of how to use BootX.   Once I realized that the Debian initrd.gz was to be stored in the mac partition (OS 9.1) as ramdisk.image.gz then I was able to start the Sarge installation from the CDs.  I learned the renaming technique from the Ubuntu lists but saw it repeated in your series of discussions.

Like you I could not reboot into Sarge once the first part of the installation had completed.  I was able to use the YDL vmlinux kernal to reboot and finish the Sarge setup.  So for a while I had a fully functional Sarge system running.  But then I turned off the computer.  It rebooted into Mac OS 9.1 and I open BootX to start Sarge.  The YDL kernel no longer worked but produced a kernal panic.

So I was happy to see that you worked out a sytem to actually copy back to the mac a working reboot kernel.  I'm having trouble following your example.  The line # chroot /mnt is followed by an error that there is no such directory.  But I can see it listed in the root director after # mkdir /mnt,  # ls commands.

Also # modprobe hfs doesn't work it also errors.

I've probably missed a step.  Have you been able to put together a list of steps that you followed to install Sarge?  I am wondering if I have mucked up my previous installation by going back in a second time to try the steps to mount the hfs partition.  Is there a way to check that?  Any reference that includes hfs seems to come back as no such directory.

Bye for now,

George

HI George,

I am, indeed, in the process of writing up a fairly detailed account of my experiences in installing Debian on my powerbook G3. I have in front of me the notes I took as I was working through the "second install." That Hans was nice enough to help me with. The following assume you have MacOS installed, a separate HFS partition and a Debian partition. In my case, I used the Debian Installer partition tool to tell me what partition was what. Here is what I did:

BusyBox v1.0.0 pre10 (Debian 20040623-1) Built in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands
~# mkdir mnt
~#mount /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part12 /mnt
~#chroot /mnt
sh-2.05b# ls -IR /lib/modules/2.6.8&*-powerpc/kernel/fs/hfs*
/lib/modules/2.6.8-powerpc/kernel/hfs:
hfs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.8-powerpc/kernel/hfsplus:
hfsplus.ko
sh-2.05b# modprobe hfs
sh-2.05b# mount /dev/hda10 /mnt
sh-2.05b# cp /boot/vmlinux* /boot/intrd* /mnt
sh-2.05b# exit
~#exit

So, you'll need to manually traverse the /dev/ide/... tree to find out exactly what path to use. Mine is for a powerbook. Yours will probably be different. Maybe something went wrong in that line.

As for the modprobe. I don't know. Okay, I have to run. Good luck-

Chris