Re: Linux on new AlBook

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 18:04 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 23:41 +0100, Mich Lanners wrote:
> [...]
> > As far as Linux support is concerned, here a quick rundown:
> >
> > - PC Cards: supported
> > - USB: untested, but should be supported
>
> I just got my first Mac which is the AlBook, and since I find that the
> trackpad is having some problems (just installed, so I haven't worked it
> out yet) I've plugged in a USB mouse, which works fine.  So I can
> confirm that USB is tested :)

An updated trackpad driver has been merged upstream and will be in
2.6.16 along with a proper driver for the new USB keyboard that handles
the Fn key (both thanks to Michael Hanselmann)

>  2D, no official 3D

> > - Firewire: untested, no idea about the FW-800 port

At least 400 seems to work with my ipod

> > - Ethernet: supported
> > - Modem: a binary driver for Linux/386 is said to be somewhere, but no
> >   trace of an opensource effort.
> > - Sound: untested

Not yet on the latest models. Ben Collins is working on a quick hack
that enables it as a "toonie" (that is basically ignore the codec/mixer
and just pump samples out, which seems to work in analog mode at least
as the codec seems to be configured properly by default, but lacks a lot
of features). I intend to work on full support soon.

> > - CPU speed: untested

Works.

> > - fan: works, speed regulated
> > - sleep: don't know, sleeping seems to work, but waking up is still
> >   untested :-)

Works for me, though i have a couple of glitches, I have the ethernet
PHY coming up dead occasionally on wakeup (requires a machine shutdown)
and I had once a case where USB was dead on wakeup... (once in 3 weeks,
not _that_ bad but still...). For the ethernet problem, I've hacked a
patch that seems to make it more reliable but not perfect yet, I'll see
if I manage to get something better.

Ben.