Re: Files for BootX

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for clearing up the file naming issue for me. Using vmlinux and initrd.gz is definitely the way to go. I certainly feel indebted to you all. Perhaps I could help update the fine Debian PowerPC installation manual if I can ever get this OS booted?

Speaking of installation problems, I am 99% sure Debian is sitting on my hard disk. The installation goes fine. I choose not to install Quik because I am fairly sure BootX is the "manual boot loader" the installer is referring to.

Unfortunately, I can not boot into Debian. I certainly apologize for the delay in my response to your original postings, but I was trying different permutations of the boot parameters and disk partitioning options to somehow get around this re-occuring message:

VFS: cannot open root device "hda12" or unknown-block(0,0)
please append a correct  'root=" boot option
kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
<0>rebooting in 180 seconds.._

In BootX, I have always left the vmlinux kernel selected. I tried deselecting the initrd.gz ramdisk file. When I did that, I would enter hda12 into the BootX "/dev/" text box. I did that because the Debian installer said:

"You will need to boot manually with the /boot/vmlinux kernel on partition /dev/hda12 and root=/dev/hda12 passed as kernel argument.

I tried adding root=/dev/hda12 with and without the compressed ramdisk image.

I also reviewed the installation manual and the www.ppcnux.de BootX tutorial that was given to me by Clive . They, apparently kept both their vmlinux file and the compressed ramdisk image. They also added the following additional kernel arguments
root=/dev/hda12 devfs=mount,all rw

In Boot X, my additional kernel arguments text box now contains:
root=/dev/hda12 devfs=mount,all rw video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:32,mclk:63

And I end up with the same kernel panic. Once again, I appeal to you all for help. If you have any thoughts on this, I would welcome any feedback. I have a Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet", OldWorld. My disk has MacOS9.0 on one partition, I have a 10.5 GB partition reserved for Debian and two essentially empty partitions. i used the Debian "Guided partition->Use largest unused block->multi-user workstation.

-Chris