Re: Strange behavior

> > Since VFAT is the most common filesystem used on USB-memory sticks,
> > that is almost certainly the problem here.
>
> I can confirm that VFAT doesn't support changing ownership.

So it behaves according to specification. VFAT doesn't have any notion of
file ownership. (Guess why - it was invented by people that didn't hold
with newfangled stuff like multi user systems. multi-tasking was hard
enough, heh)

All you can do is set the owner uid/gid at mount time. A very convenient
way to do that is the 'user' mount option in fstab.

Does not help if one user mounts the device and another wants to write
there, though.

HTH,

	Michael