Re: quik 7300 Auto of scan range

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:16:49AM +0100, Mich Lanners wrote:

> I'm the autho of that page, nice to see it might still be useful.

> >> All right, within chroot the command nvsetenv works, but I have no
> >> idea how to input this parameters !?!
> >> man nvsetenv is the most confusing I ever see, tells nothing useful .
> >> Someone can help me with this ?
>
> It's very simple:
>
> 	nvsetenv <var name>
>
> prints the contents of the OF variable <var name>, while
>
> 	nvsetenv <var name> <value>
>
> writes <value> into the OF variable <var name>.
>
> > I use nvsetenv in the following way to set the variables "boot-device"
> > and "boot-command" to get quik working:
> >
> > nvsetenv boot-device ata/ATA-Disk@0:0
>
> Don't use that one in the 7300. It's for machines with IDE disks.

Sure, I just included it as an example of how one uses nvsetenv. I
didn't mean that he should use those to examples on his box.

> > nvsetenv boot-command "begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again"
>
> This one can help since the internal SCSI disk of th 7300 may take too
> much time to spin up. But as far as we know, this is not Fabio's
> problem.

No, just there as an example of nvsetenv usage

> > I think the code you refered to would into the "nvramrc" variable and
> > thus be entered like this:
> >
> > nvsetenv nvramrc "dev /bandit/gc/via-cuda
> >         ' write value &W
> >         : -&We &W swap - execute ;
> >         : P1 4D8 -&We false 548 -&We ;
> >         &W FC + ' P1 BLpatch
> >         : P2 0C 2 ms ;
> >         &W E0 + ' P2 BLpatch device-end"
> >
> [snip'ed remaining explanation]
>
> Be careful, this would replace the current contents of nvramrc. But
> there should be other patches already in there.
>
> You better copy your current nvramrc to a file:
>
> 	nvsetenv nvramrc > of-patches
>
> then edit that file of-patches, adding what I describe on my page, and
> finally setting it again:
>
> 	nvsetenv nvramrc "`cat of-patches`"

Good point.

> Now, all this OF patching only helps you get OF's diplay onto your
> monitor. It should not have any impact on what Linux does to your
> display.

Exactly, that was why I questioned the point in getting BootX to work.

> To get this sorted out, tell us more:
>
> - what monitor are you using? Apple? Third party?
> - if third party, what adapter? With video mode switches? How are the
>   switches configured?
> - did you install a display manager, that would be started
>   automatically, i.e. your system would boot to an X-Windows interface
>   instead of only text mode?

Most likely not, the problem appeared first boot after first stage of
debian-installer and X is installed in the second stage.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?