Re: DRI not working with libgl1-mesa-dri (r300)

At Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:58:54 +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> The X server creates and removes the nodes as they are (not) needed. If
> the missing node was the problem, the error would be 'No such file or
> directory'.

ok

> > That was what I thought at first, but I did have DRM+Radeon enabled in
> > the kernel.  I even changed my kernel configuration to have those as
> > modules, but that doesn't change a thing (and it shouldn't).
>
> You're right that it shouldn't in theory, but in reality the modular
> case is much better tested.

I see, I tend to avoid modules, since builtin is (was) less hassle.

> > X does load the radeon module though, but still no entry in /dev/dri.
>
> What about /proc/dri/?

Nothing in /proc/dri either.

> > ruben@guava ~ $ dmesg | grep drm
> > [drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925
>
> There should be some output from the radeon module here. Please post the
> kernel output that results from
>
> modprobe -r radeon; modprobe radeon
>
> (or the full kernel output, if in doubt)

I don't get anything from the radeon module:
[drm] Module unloaded
[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925

I attached the whole dmesg at the end, just to be sure.
Does the DRM module require something else or conflict with something
else that I might not have or do have?

> Have you verified that the 'device scape' patch you're using doesn't
> cause the problem? I must confess I haven't got around to running 2.6.15
> yet, so there's the possibility of radeon DRM breakage there, although
> I'd expect more noise about that on this list. :)

I tested with vanilla 2.6.15 + outside-the-tree-softmac and a vanilla
2.6.14 kernel, and the debian 2.6.12 kernel but in all cases,
/dev/dri remains empty.

Ruben