Re: More on ibook

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:10:14AM +0000, Murk wrote:
> Murk wrote:
> >I make a little comment about tilde and then find it, typical!
> >
> >Now, all I need is ' ....   ;)
> >

> On recommendations I am trying Ubuntu, using their LiveCD.

No matter what you'll install in the end, Ubuntu or Debian, if you
play with the live CD you could save your keyboard layout for X, if it
is working with the live CD, to a CD, or wherever. Same probably also
goes for the xorg.conf.

As for the keyboard:
You can save a running keyboard layout to a file and reload the
settings from it whenever you want via 'xmodmap'. I've written a few
lines how to do that on
<http://wolfgangpfeiffer.com/foolinglinux.html#keyboard>

Secondly:
Not every window manager/Desktop environment accepts the settings in
~/.xmodmap without being told explicitly to do that. So in KDE you
probably have to put a file like this (I called it xmodmap.sh)

---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
xmodmap /home/<name_of your_homedir>/.xmodmap

---------------------------------

to ~/kde/env, and make it executable (something like
'chmod 744 xmodmap.sh', without the quotes).

In Gnome you're perhaps getting asked, when you log in, whether
.xmodmap should be loaded by Gnome. If not, please search in the Gnome
menu for something like "Session settings" or "Startup programs" (I
can't tell you exactly as I don't use Gnome any more) and put
something like

xmodmap /home/<name_of your_homedir>/.xmodmap

into the startup commands of the GUI that pops up.

Someone out there might have a working .xmodmap for your
ibook/keyboard layout, and perhaps send it to you. Mine is a 'qwertz'
German (Powerbook) one, so it probably won't help you much ..

HTH

Good luck!

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on