Re: Can't install, no KBD (G4 Cube)

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 02:12:08PM -0500, Rich Johnson wrote:

[It'd probably be useful to tell the people over on debian-boot about
the problems you've seen.]

> Oh, I get that all right.    Where you lose me is the rationale for
> the bootstrap/installer being incomplete in the first place.  What's
> preventing the a complete set of debian-installer modules from
> residing on the ram-disk--as it did with the woody installer?

One could be produced - size is a factor here.

> I'd like to know the rationale for why HFS+ is not supported by the
> installer--especially as the kernel is specifically compiled for
> systems that are likely to have only HFS+ filesystems.  What's so
> difficult about building powerpc installer kernels with
> CONFIG_HFSPLUS_FS ?

The module is actually being built but it's apparently not made its way
onto the ramdisk you're using.

> Supposing that there is a compelling reason for an incomplete
> installer:  In such cases the installer should _always_ provide a
> route to B.3.   Instead the etch hd-media installer insists on _ONLY_
> B.2 while not bothering to support the only FS likely to be available.

If I had to guess I would say that you're the first person to try this
on PowerPC with debian-installer.