Boot in console not X [Was]Re: X server problem

Thanks for your input Rick, Clive and Matt.

On 4/1/06 6:29 pm, "Rick Thomas" <rbthomas55@pobox.com> wrote:

> I forget the details, but there is a "Hexadecimal" vs " decimal"
> conflict between XF86Config* and the output of lspci.  One gives the
> card location in decimal and the other gives it in hex.  So
> 12(hex)=18(decimal).
>
> HTH,
>
> Rick

You were right Rick. Just befoe your post I re-ran dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86 and changed the slot address to 0:18:0 and X started :)
___________________

On 4/1/06 7:07 pm, "Clive Menzies" <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:

> If you look at the XF86-Config file you will see in the comments that
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 won't work if you've manually edited
> the conf file.  It also gives step by step instructions on how to move
> your manually edited file so that you can rerun
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Doh

> This is about one of the trickiest aspects of configuring debian but by
> no means insurmountable.  Once you've got it working at 800X600, google
> around for resolution settings for your G3.
>
> You would also be better subscribed to debian-powerpc

Wasn't sure if this was relevant. Seems to be mostly kernal related stuff.

> If it's any consolation, I and a number of others have successfully
> installed on a beige G3.

Right pain in the butt though. Glad when I got there in the end however ;)
_______________________

On 4/1/06 8:15 pm, "Matt Zagrabelny" <mzagrabe@d.umn.edu> wrote:

>> Now, after looking through Debian reference guide I've seen that there
>> is a
>> reference to XF3 server (v3) which mentions 'mach64'. The card in the
>> old G3
>> is of this type. Could this have something to do with my non-starting
>> X-server?
>
> the version of xfree86 in sarge is 4.3 i believe. xfree86 version 3 had
> separate server packages for all corresponding chipsets, in xfree86 4
> they were all lumped into 1 package.
>
> -matt zagrabelny

Thought as much Matt. The Debian Reference info seems to be written around
when Sarge had just been released?

Now however, in my fumbling around trying to fix the Xserver I've messed up
the keyboard mapping. I need to get back to the command line to reconfigure
but can't use the usual alt-F1. How can I boot and not start the X server?
Can I hold down a key when Linux starts? I use bootX to boot, can I pass an
argument of somesort to go straight to the console?

Thanks,
Dave