connecting projector to titanium laptop

I use Debian on my normal pc, but for work I will soon need to give
presentations using a mac titanium laptop, connected to various
projectors.  I looked around a bit, but do not see any program that
automatically recognizes a projector when it is plugged in, and sets
the resolution accordingly.  For example, osx on the laptop
automatically recognizes the projector and picks the right resolution.
Since an install disk will usually recognize a monitor, and pick the
correct resolution for it, I assume that there must be some program
that does this after the install is completed and a projector is
plugged in, and then write the appropriate xorg.conf file.  I would
appreciate any info about such a program, or how people who use debian
on a laptop connect it to various projectors (with different
resolutions).

Thanks