Re: IBM Java 5

On Wed, Dec 27 2006, at 09:09 +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> Hello fellow PPC Debian users.
>
> I am now for the first time trying to setup and configure IBM's Java 5
> on my mac mini 1.25ghz machine running Debian Sid. I've setup Sun
> before on an i386 system before but using the IBM version is new and
> very foreign to me.
>
> [ ... ]

What I have:

$ java -version
java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build pxp32dev-20061002a (SR3) )
IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Linux ppc-32 j9vmxp3223-20061001 (JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20060915_08260_bHdSMR
JIT  - 20060908_1811_r8
GC   - 20060906_AA)
JCL  - 20061002

The IBM java seems to work great -- The only issue that is biting me a bit
is this:
$ java --version
JVMJ9VM007E Command-line option unrecognised: --version
Java Virtual Machine konnte nicht erstellt werden.

Syntax: java [-Optionen] Klasse [Argumente...]
           (zum Ausführen einer Klasse)
   oder  java [-jar] [-Optionen] JAR-Datei [Argumente...]
           (zum Ausführen einer JAR-Datei)

Dabei gelten folgende Optionen:
    -cp -classpath <Verzeichnisse und ZIP/JAR-Dateien werden durch : getrennt>
              Suchpfad für Anwendungsklassen und -ressourcen festlegen
    -D<Name>=<Wert>
              Ein Systemmerkmal festlegen
    -verbose[:class|gc|jni]

              [ ..... ]

-------------------------------------

I'm not sure what the stuff above means: Why there suddenly is a
German help text (messed up locale/ environment?), I'm not even sure
whether "java --version" is actually triggering the IBM Java, or the
remainders of other, previously installed Java packages ...

Following are a few notes I made 2 or 3 weeks ago after installing a
new IBM Java version:

Please note there might be mistakes in it: For example the

ibm-java2-sdk-50-linux-ppc.tgz in "*** 2" should probably say:
ibm-java2-jre-50-linux-ppc.tgz

And the sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.en.htm in the notes below probably is
the documentation I downloaded from the same page where I got the IBM
java sources.

As to the install notes:

Part of the notes are taken (probably) from the IBM documentation -
that's why I tried to note the path to the file where I found the
text.  IIRC: I mixed my text with the one from IBM every now and then
- without using quotes ...

I changed the paths to some files for this email, and I removed cruft
I saw as being useless when rereading it today):

Also note that the one-liner in "*** 2" for compiling might also look
something like this (The following 2 lines should be a single one):

MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-4.1 fakeroot make-jpkg --full-name "Your Name"
--email your@email --changes ibm-java2-jre-50-linux-ppc.tgz

("CC=" depending on the version you want get used)

The notes:

*** 0:

    First install
    java-package - utility for building Java(TM) 2 related Debian packages

*** 1:

    "The SDK includes the Runtime Environment for Linux, which enables you
    only to run Java applications. If you have installed the SDK, the
    Runtime Environment is included."
    [ file:///path/to/IBM/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.en.htm#wq4]

    So probably it's enough to install the jre, as it seems becoming a
    smaller package when compiling.

*** 2:

    cd ~/path/to/IBM/
    fakeroot make-jpkg --full-name "Your Name" --email your@email --changes ibm-java2-sdk-50-linux-ppc.tgz

    install the package

*** 3:

    run
    update-alternatives --config java

    choose
    /usr/bin/java-j2re1.5-ibm

*** 4:

    file:///path/to/IBM/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.en.htm#wq88

    Firefox

    To make the Java Plug-in available to all users:

    1. Log in as root.
    2. Change to your Firefox Plug-ins [iceweasel] directory           < -----
       (this could be different on some Linux distributions) .

       cd /usr/local/mozilla-firefox/plugins/

    3. Create a symbolic link to libjavaplugin_oji.so.

       ln -s /opt/ibm/java2-i386-50/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

     On Debian:
     cd /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/
     ln -s /usr/lib/j2re1.5-ibm/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

*** 5:

    file:///path/to/IBM/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.en.htm#pathcons

    On Debian:
    in ~/.bash_profile: The $PATH setting:
    PATH=/usr/lib/j2re1.5-ibm/jre/bin/:~/bin:"${PATH}"

You must symbolically link the Plug-in, rather than copy it, so |that it can locate the JVM.

*** 6:

     TESTS:

     run:
     $ java -version

     go to:
     http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

     iceweasel:
     about:plugins

Euro symbol support:
file:///path/to/IBM/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.en.htm#wq69

export IBM_JAVA_OPTIONS="-Duser.variant=EURO"

> Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome :)

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on