Re: xkb-data: Help needed for Macintosh keyboards

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 12:35:31PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 06:22:27PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> [...]
> > >   * Mac model (ibook, g4, g5, etc)
> >
> > PowerBook G4, [5,8]
> >
> > >   * Mac keyboard (USB or not, country variant)
> >
> > internal keyboard, [DE]
> >
> > I made a picture:
> > http://www.geocities.com/wolfgangpfeiffer/keyboard.PBook.g4-5.8.JPG
> > [about 160 KB, and I got an hourly transfer limit of ~4,4 MB .. so you
> > might want being quick if you want to see it .. :)]
>

> Sorry, I can do nothing with your xmodmap files at the moment, I need
> to know what is broken so that it can get fixed.

Not necessary: I simply try to be as verbose as possible: That's why I
let you know it ... :)

> > Besides: it seems an old annoying issue is still being around here:
> > With your package as, IIRC, with the previous (from about half a year
> > ago or so) xorg/xkb ones 2 keys are swapped here.
>
> Yes, a new 'macbook' model is introduced in 0.8-10exp1.
> I would like to understand which models have to set XkbModel to macbook
> to determine whether it should replace current 'macintosh' or not.

I did a few tests, hoping to not mess up as much as I did yesterday :)
The most important for me: I was not able to get the swapped keys (^°
and <>) back to where they should be.

Some test:

$ pwd
/home/shorty/downloads
[shorty@ 21:09:14]$ dpkg -x xkb-data_0.8-8exp1_all.deb xkb

 cd /home/shorty/downloads/xkb/usr/share/X11/xkb
$ pwd
/home/shorty/downloads/xkb/usr/share/X11/xkb

And in this last dir:

*** 1:

setxkbmap -option -model macbook -layout de -variant nodeadkeys -print | xkbcomp - :0
does not help: Console switch via <CTRL>-<ALT>-F(X) is possible, but the swapped keys
               ("less than" "greater than" <> and the key with that
	       signs "^°") are still swapped.
               SHIFT key working.
               Arrow keys, right bottom side, working

*** 2:

setxkbmap -option -model macintosh -layout de -variant nodeadkeys -print | xkbcomp - :0
breaks a lot: shift key broken: that is, no captitals
              Console switch via <CTRL>-<ALT>-F(X) impossible
              Arrow keys, right bottom side, not working
              ("less than" "greater than" <> and the key with that signs "^°") are still swapped -- worse:
              i only have half of what these keys before had, because the shift key,s gone

getting curious:

*** 3:

setxkbmap -option -model pc105 -layout de -variant nodeadkeys -print | xkbcomp - :0

           Console switch via <CTRL>-<ALT>-F(X) possible
           Arrow keys, right bottom side, working
           ("less than" "greater than" <> and the key with that signs "^°") are still swapped
           SHIFT key's working

In all tests: with the empty "-option" I hoped to clear all previous
xkb settings .. I hope this worked as expected.

More tests?

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on