Re: xkb-data: Help needed for Macintosh keyboards

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 06:55:18PM +0200, Ben Mueller wrote:
> > except KP_Equal. The key on my PowerBook5,2 (15'' with ADB keyboard) emits
> > keycode 157 while keycodes/xfree86 maps <KPEQ> to keycode 126. (I would
> > like to file a bug about this, but I don't know against which package.)
>
> Have a look at /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/macintosh:
>   default xkb_keycodes "macintosh" {
>      include "xfree86"
>
>      <FK13> = 182;
>      <FK14> = 183;
>      <FK15> = 184;
>      <KPEQ> = 157;
>   };
> and you will see why your KP_Equal key has the wrong keycode ;)

Since most keycodes on macintosh and on pc are equal, I thought it would
be worth changing the x-server or the linux-kernel (or whichever package
is responsible) to make macintosh keyboards emit the _right_ keycodes.

> > But perhaps symbols/macintosh_vndr/de will be dropped anyway in favour of
> > the macintosh variants in symbols/de?
>
> See above, I believe that this is not a good idea, but time will tell.

I think these are independent issues. As far as I understand this, you can
also tell rules/base to combine keycodes "macintosh" with symbols
"pc(pc105)+de(mac_nodeadkeys)" or some other mac variants to national
symbol files.

Best regards

  Ben