Re: xkb-data: Help needed for Macintosh keyboards

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 01:24:02AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> PC keyboards have been redesigned in Xfree86 4.3 to allow loading
> several layouts (for instance us+ru+fr); in xkeyboard-config, all
> previous PC layouts have been dropped and replaced by these new
> layouts.
> But Macintosh keyboards have not been updated, mainly because
> upstream does not have such hardware, and also because people
> seem to want different default options for their special keys.
>
> I just uploaded xkb-data_0.8-8exp1_all.deb into experimental to
> try to fix this mess.  Unfortunately I also have no Mac keyboard,
> so I could not test it at all and need your help to find and fix
> bugs.  When everything is in good shape, I will forward these
> patches to upstream.
>
> In this version, Macintosh layouts are modified like PC ones,
> 3rd and 4th levels are kept in the 1st group instead of belonging
> to a 2nd group.  You may need additional options (see for instance
> /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst) to fit your needs.
> Please test and file bug reports against xkb-data, I really need
> your help to fix bugs and thus have a chance to upload into unstable.

Mmm, altough i have only a US keyboard powerbook, i would willingly test this,
as this is a major problematic point for mac keyboards.

I have two questions though :

  1) how do you detect you have a pmac keyboard, and not something else ?
  There are powerpc boxes with normal pc keyboards around (in fact, all still
  selling powerpc hardware is now of this kind, since apple left).

  2) how do we test this, install the xkb-data package, and verify all keys
  still work ? Is there anything more to do ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther