Re: Kernel upgrade problem

On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 17:09 +0800, Lawrence Li wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade the kernel from the default 2.6.8 to the latest
> (from kernel.org), and I followed the drill using make-kpkg. However,
> after the compilation began (i.e.: after "make-kpkg kernel_image") I
> was prompted with loads of yes or no questions, since I'm clueless
> about most of them I just press enter for default, but the compilation
> failed in the end (don't see the .deb file which is supposed to show
> up). I wonder if this is normal (to have so many - I think there are
> around 100 of them - prompts during the process)? Anyone has
> experience on this?

If your really want to upgrade your kernel, I'd say you should use
debian packages (maybe upgrade to etch or use backports.org). If you
really really want to build your old kernel, begin using the .config
from the currently running kernel (try /boot/config-2.6.8-powerpc or
something like that and copy it to .config in the linux sources folder).
You will still have to answer some questions because kernel have changed
a lot between 2.6.8 and 2.6.17 but...

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis