Re: spam

brian <cymraegish@yahoo.com> wrote:
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:59:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: brian <cymraegish@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: spam
To: dtutty@porchlight.ca

my current solution is to use yahoo mail for
mailing list subscriptions. i would rather not,
but they do have 'bot which not only will learn
to screen spam into a bulk folder, will also
put mailing list real mail into folders automatically.

i guess some people know how to download mail
off some of these servers, which of course they
resist as they want you to read their ads. ditto with
ad-filters, in my experience...

another important consideration as far as i know,
it could be worse than spam. mail has always been
the way 'nix systems get broken into. especially if
you are running testing/unstable where you don't
get security updates.

i would rather be using 'nix mail but it is way down
my list of priorities.

one way or another maybe the best thing for me to
improve my email experience could be i have to
spend a little, either for a premium account or
consulting on my linux boxes setup, or both
(hope i don't get spammed over this ...)

there is a way to flag to debian list going over to
the list pages, i also find that is useful for
browsing and searching. there is a screening
system but it has to be trained, and monitored...

i don't know what you do for your mail but this
is what i do presently. oh i am trying gmail also
at google, which supposedly runs linix of course,
but AFAK no way to connect it with, say, my
gnustep mail client here, nor do they offer a linux
client (wish they would).

brian

p.s. browsing the threads over there also gives
you a little perspective on how these dialogues here
really look. and how bad it is when multiple topics
combined in a single thread, or/ and a new topic
started in a single thread.

pps sorry, the one other thing terrible about yahoo
is you have to put in the mailing list adress by hand
-- or else reply goes to originator, not to the list. urgghh...

dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
Is there anything to do about all the spam that gets posted to this
list, or do we just delete it? Spammers also seem to have mined my
email address out of the postings and now I get spam directly.