Audio driver for Debian / iBook G3

hi list:

My system is Debian Sarge / iBook G3, with the default kernel (2.6.8),
I don't seem to be able to get the audio driver working. The volume
control slider at the upper-right corner is currently being frozen,
i.e.: it stays at the bottom (zero volume) and it's not slidable. I
read somewhere that you need to upgrade the kernel in order to get the
sound card working, am wondering whether this upgrade is mandatory? Is
it possible to get sound in 2.6.8? I've had Alsa installed, adjusting
the sliders in alsamixergui doesn't seem to work.

Thanks in advance,

Lawrence