Re: possibly boot hangs refers to other devices ???

> for reference: i used ofpath command of ybin package to get the path.
> then
> i used "Apple System Disk" to set the open firmware variable including
> that.
> note - it appears, using the command printenv at OF prompt that the
> apple util
> resets the load base and a couple other variables i am not familiar
> with as well.
> i found link to "ASD" at linuxppc/quik page; also note it is not
> necessary, just
> convenenient - if one checks the debian bug reports for quik, there is
> some
> work at automating better on the linix side, as ybin does for yaboot.

Note that Apple System Disk will also install some "patches" to OF in
nvram to fix bugs, that are sometimes necessary to reliably boot on some
machines.

> mostly i did not use quik before because i was unsure if i could
> easily still use
> my mac os including conveniently and safely. it took me some while to
> feel assured
> that this was the case. all i do is type bye at the boot prompt rather
> than boot
> (note i told "apple system disk" i wanted a pause). the debian
> installer posts
> a big warning which scared me off and and also some other distros
> advise
> against it. it is not currently set up for beginner to debian even
> transferrees.
>
> i have my entire linux system as the first partition on the disk, of
> type
> "new world bootblock" w/out a separate partition for quik use ,
> followed by
> swap and mac partitions.

It should not be of type newworld boot. Newworld boot is what yaboot is
generally on for newworld machines and you may end up with problems as
yaboot installer might try to reformat it as HFS, that sort of thing.