Re: Booting/ installing Debian on a G3 with Open Firmware 2.4

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:41:36 -0700, Jason Self wrote:

> On 6/24/06, Michael Fuckner <michael@fuckner.net> wrote:
>> The Machine seems to be only netbootable
>
> The beige G3 is also able to boot from CD. Insert CD and hold down "C"
> on the keyboard while the machine powers up, searches for startup
> devices, finds the CD and then begins to boot it. You can then release
> the "C" key. If you have a working CD drive, that might be simpler?
>
> Check out http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

I'm sorry, but you are both wrong. Such machines are neither netbootable
nor CD-bootable, except for specially mastered non-free CDs which Debian
does not provide. You MUST use a floppy, unless you pull the HD and image
it on another machine.