Re: Boot failure with kernel 2.6.15 on G4

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 01:07:10PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 16:47 +0200, Magnus Käck wrote:
> > I recently installed testing ppc on my mac mini with no problems, but
> > just after I upgraded and now I get this during boot.
> >
> > i8042.c: No controller found.
> > FATAL: Error inserting i8042
> > (/lib/modules/2:6.15-1-powerpc/kernel/drivers/input/serio/i8042.ko): No
> > such device
>
> The above is unrelated. Something is trying to load the PC keyboard
> driver which is totally useless on a Mac thus won't load.

The something in question is initramfs-tools.

> > ALERT! /dev/hda6 does not exist. Dropping to shell!
>
> That's more interesting... is it loading the IDE driver ? Is it finding
> your partitions ?

This message is generally a sign that something else went wrong. Magnus, the
best way on this would be to file a bug report against initramfs-tools about
this second problem, and if possible provide the whole log.

Benjamin, BTW, there seems to be some issue about pmac_zilog and the normal
serial controller, that if both are builtin the kernel, then the PC serial
controller will take priority over pmac_zilog, and this second one will not
work.

Any hint on how to workaround that ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther