Re: boot from ethernet with imac g3

In data 31/05/2006 19:02 Giulio Canevari ha scritto:
Hello,

i have found out that putting the net card on another pci slot on my x86 doesn't lead to instability ;) .

I think solution isn't that far. I try to explain everything i did and what happened.

The problem was in the yaboot.conf file:

here is how it looks now:

device=enet:
partition=0
timeout=50
init-message="Debian GNU/Linux Network boot"
default=linux

image=vmlinux
    initrd=initrd.gz
    label=linux
    initrd-size=10240
    #append="init=/linuxrc"
        append="DEBCONF_PRIORITY=low devfs=mount,dall init=/linuxrc"
    read-only

So now it boots, it search for the cdrom, the cdrom of course doesn't
work even with linux, and i'm still blocked.

I'm unable to partition the hd nor to fetch at least the base packages
from the net with the internal modem with ppp, the installer seems to be
targeted only at cdrom install.

In fact only these steps are avaible:

main-menu,languagechooser,countrychooser,kbd-chooser,hw-detect,cdrom-detect,cdrom-checker,shell
.

So i don't have
netcfg,iso-scan,choose-mirror,partman,autopartkit,partitioner,partconf,base-installer,os-prober,bootloader-installer,base-config

Actually i have got the debian-businnesscard iso [ from wich i have took
the kernel, yaboot and so on placed in /tftpboot ], it fits the usb key
but i don't know how to reach and use it.

The usb key is seen as /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc on the
mac, i can cat/head and so on the raw content, but i am unable to mount
it. Actually it has a vfat fs on top.

What should i do now?

Thank you again,
--