Re: can't find a way to type brackets on powerbook g3

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 09:35:39PM +0200, domenico wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm moving to linux and I installed debian sarge on my old powerbook g3
> (lombard). Everyting worked fine and I added window maker to get a
> confortable developing platform with vi and gcc.
> But I'm not able to type square and curly brackets...
> I was trying option+(), option+shift+(), alt+..., ctrl+...
> alt+shift+..., ctrl+shift+..., almost with every character on the keyboard
> Then I tried to compose ascii code (option+fn+123...), unsuccessfully,
> so I made some search on google (even some group) with keywords like
> "ascii debian ppc", "linux keyboard powerbook"... but I couldn't find
> anything...
> where is my mistake?

I don't believe this was your mistake: IIRC I *never* had a working
notebook keyboard (DE) on Debian after a fresh install .. :) .. If
it's just your keyboard on X that does not seem to work, you might let
people know what keyboard layout you have: qwertz or qwerty, French,
Italian or English, etc. ... this way people could be able to send you
their .xmodmap file that you can test/load with a 'xmodmap .xmodmap'
(w/o the quotes)

I'm no sure whether with a recent X the following notes are still
helpful: "How To Set Up Your Keyboard For X":
http://wolfgangpfeiffer.com/foolinglinux.html#keyboard

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on