Re: [bernhard@intevation.de: Re: The powerpc port should be removed from etch release candidates ...]

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 01:44:56AM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> Forking and fragmentation vs. BSD-style fights? No contest.
>
> Linux has been forked about a zillion times, but the developers don't
> mind the "mess" at all. People just merge every which way using git.

Well, yes, but the linux distributed development model, is a bit different
than the centralized subversion using d-i development model.

In a way it is a bit strange that d-i was developped as a componentized and
developped model, but all is hold in a single debian sub-archive and a single
centralized subversion repository.

> If people come to their sense, they'll never again grant commit bits
> to more than one person.

Maybe. A centralized repo is a good thing for a more intertwined grouped
development model.

> BTW, the Wine project has a nice comparison. It seems that git is
> much more compact than svk. (big surprise for me) It's well-known
> for being very fast.

it is ways more difficult to understand than svn is, especially from someone
coming from CVS.

Friendly,

Sven Luther