Re: Not coherent cache DMA for G3/G4 CPUs: clarification needed

I hope not. But I think the AmigaOne floppy driver is copied from the i386
architecture and this one uses DMA IIRC. On the side: who uses floppy drives
these days?

> > 2. I'm not sure how to allocate memory for DMA operation. I think
> > alloc_pages() will not do the job for me, as the page tables for not
> > coherent DMA are reserved (SetPageReserved()) and removed from the
> > available lowmem.
>
> alloc_pages() ? How so ? No, you want to allocate from your reserved
> pool, you'll have to implement your own allocator. Easiest is a running
> bitmap, look at ppc64 iommu code for an example.
Thanks! I was searching a while for an example, but couldn't found one.

> >  Also memory fragmentation may be a problem, if a lot DMA operations
> > with different buffer sizes are performed. Therefore a system could
> > quickly run out of memory for not coherent DMA operation, right?
> > Is there a way to minimize fragmentation?
>
> Best you can do is have separate pools for small and big allocations I
> suppose.
Okay. Or is there a general slab allocator implementation in the Linux
kernel?

> > 3. How are DMA buffers used outside the kernel? Do user programs get a
> > pointer to the DMA buffer (in theory) from the device driver or is the
> > data copied to another buffer allocated by an user program?
>
> There are cases where some drivers try that but you should ignore it for
> the moment. Won't happen in most cases.
That's good to hear. Makes my life a little bit easier. ;-)

Thanks,

Gerhard

--
Analog-/ISDN-Nutzer sparen mit GMX SmartSurfer bis zu 70%!
Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer