X Viewport Issues on certain 2.6 kernels

I have noticed that on newer 2.6 kernels, the X viewports feature does
not work correctly.  I am using Xorg 6.8.2 (because the radeon driver in
later versions is b0rked) on 2.6.x.y (see table below).  The problem is
that panning doesn't seem to work; one can only see some parts of the
overall screen and not others when trying to pan around.  Also, to pan
from the top to bottom of the screen, I have had to move the mouse
pointer sideways -- I think something isn't quite righ :-).

Anyway, in case it helps, here are the kernels I tried and what
happened...

vendor      version     notes
-------     --------    ------
debian      2.6.12.1    works
kernel.org  2.6.12.6    works
kernel.org  2.6.14.7    works
kernel.org  2.6.15.6    X viewports don't work, as described above
kernel.org  2.6.15.7    X viewports don't work, as described above
kernel.org  2.6.16.1    doesn't compile

I'm on a PowerBook5,4 (G4/1.5/15'').

If anyone else has this issue, please reply!

best regards,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew@agrip.org.uk>