Re: Wanted: Debian Installer PowerPC porter(s)

The reply below was only sent to the d-boot list; forwarding to d-powerpc
as I would guess Brian is not subscribed to d-boot.

Subject: Re: Debian Installer PowerPC
Date: Wednesday 29 March 2006 10:12
From: Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl>
To: debian-boot@lists.debian.org

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:53:44PM -0800, brian morris wrote:
> hi - i am getting pretty worn out myself
>
> putting Debian on a new world mac for first
> time lately, a G4. i have thinking now it
> it is a hassle.
>
> i think the installer is over automated and
> that increase bug problems. for instance.

Default boot of D-I activates the knowledge that is in the installer,
all the default answers are sane well thought decisions.

You can make the decisions yourself by booting "expert"

> a) the partitioning scheme and type i was
> given were not much at all to my liking or
> need. i was not given any option to correct
> this only take it or leave it. i was not told
> that journaling was being turned on.
>    since the partition sizes i was given were
> not suitable i am force to resize later.

Even booted "default" you get the choice to choose between

 * Whole disk
 * Largest free space
 * Manual partitioning

'Manual partitioning' gives you the freedom to partition as _you_ want.

> my backup drive here is firewire and i am hearing
> it won't boot a backup. (the backup i made on
> scsi with the old world machine wouldn't boot
> either, but i was able to run parted by interrupting
> the installer - although it no longer tells
> you you can i guess you can ... )

That has been reported before and even filled in a bugreport.
I don't known which BR number nor it's actual state.
That means that it might even be done
at least it is on the to do list.

> ________________
>
> on more general :
>
> i for one am no windows guy. I trained on unix
> back in the old days and now i am 50% mac at least.
>
> i like macs, and i like unix. i can't stand windows.
> i really can't.
>
> is this worth it. i have done some work with
> Fink project/ macosx.2 jaguar. obviously it
> it non-free.  i don't like that but i need
> to do some pre-production sorts of work.
>
> by the way fink commander is compared to synaptic
> much better !
>
> ?suggestions ??

   SMILE

The Debian-Installer only looks over automated.

Please have a closer look at D-I and see why it is appricated by many
 others.

Cheers
Geert Stappers