On the status of support for the current generation iBooks

Hi there, all.

I'm a little bit curious to know what the support status is for current
iBooks. I'm mostly interested in the 12" version, due to its price and
its size.

I also like the fact that it has a PowerPC processor in it, but I'm
slightly worried about getting one if Linux support isn't good: as we
all know, regarding Apple, PowerPCs are doomed (dead or almost dead, if
you prefer), including G5 boxes.

So, while I'd like to get myself an iBook that can actually play some
DVDs, I'd like it to work under Open Source operating systems, since
this would be the best "future proof" investment.

Otherwise, I'd be looking into another family of processors.

I'd thank in advance for any report of what work and what doesn't
regarding the most recent iBooks.

Thanks, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/