Re: Install Sarge on an embedded PowerPC

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:35:52AM +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I've got myself an embedded powerpc platform (kurobox) and I'd like to
> install Sarge on it. My problem is - the board doesn't boot from CD, the
> bootloader is proprietary and I cannot load initrd... So, AFAIU, I cannot
> use any of the standard installation methods. I did built a
> cross-toolchain for it, compile a custom kernel 2.6.15.6, I can boot with
> NFS-root, so, I just need an installation root, and then I could install
> the rest over the internet. The problem is, all boot images I tried so
> far, that come with various install CDs, etc., are compressed, so, I
> cannot loopback-mount them. So, my question is - how can I install Sarge
> on the board? Is there a standard way that I've overseen? If not - maybe I
> could get a suitable boot-install-image, that I could NFS-boot to? Or
> maybe even somebody could briefly point me in the direction how I can
> build such a root-fs myself from Debian-sources?

Suggestion A. debootstrap. I don't know the details, but I think it
does what you want.

Suggestion B. How about just copying all files from a minimal working
powerpc installation to a directory and export that rw? (copy the
modules needed for your custom kernel, but since you compile the
kernel yourself you could compile in all necessary drivers). It's not
elegant but it might work.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E