Re: Kernel Question (Johannes Berg?)

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 02:34:16PM +0200, Sammy wrote:
> I have a PowerBook G4 1.67GHz with an ATi Radeon 9700 video card. (I have
> noticed that Johannes Berg has the same system that's why I thought he might
> be the best to answer the question.)
>
> Which kernel version (according to experience) should I best be using? I'm
> currently using the 2.6.8-powerpc version that installed with the sarge base
> installation.
>
> 1- Is there any information online about how to get a better compatible
> kernel and compile it if necessary to upgrade my current kernel?

Google:
<http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.ports.powerpc?hl=en>
I know I wrote to several threads in this group in the last 2 years or
so on kernel compiles. Searching for "pfeiffer make-kpkg" may help ...

Not being sure how usable my page still is:
<http://wolfgangpfeiffer.com/kernel.html>

> 2- Will this affect the aptitude upgrade process? I mean, if I'm successful,
> how can I prevent aptitude from overwriting my kernel?

I never heard that some upgrade whatsoever would delete a kernel - if
a new kernel is installed by some upgrade routine the links in / will
be rewritten. But that's about it. All you probably have to do is to
create new links in / according to your needs. After installing a new
kernel I'd make sure to check and rewrite, if necessary, my
yaboot.conf; or whatever boot manager file there might be sitting.

> 3- Is there a way to fully back up my system (including the MacOS X
> partition and all) so that I can just re-dump it all again onto the laptop
> in case this procedure fails somehow?

Interesting question. But I don't have a reliable answer. All that
comes to mind is something like creating a complete disk image:

If you have a disk attached to your machine via Firewire, something
like (?):
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda

Or:
cp /dev/hda /dev/hdc
More:
<http://www.seismo.ethz.ch/linux/inspiron_8200_setup.html>

But I never tried the above commands that way, so be warned, please...

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on