Mac Question

I got your email by googling a question thought maybe you could help me out. Please read below. Any help is greatly appreciated. I got a mac's it's a lap top. It's a 1.42 GHz Power PC G4; 512 level 2 cache. 512MB of DDR SDRAM' supports up to 1.5GB with a 60 GB hard drive. Anyway my question is this... when I turn it on all that happens is in the center of the screen there's a little folder icon with the two faces on it and it flashes between that and a question mark. Nothing else happens. I tried to restart with the options key press down and when I did that the screen showed two little folders one on the right and one on the left. On the right was a button that had an arrow that looked like a loop options and the other had an arrow that looked like a forward button. Any suggestions?