Re: quik... quik... quik... [was: Re: [OpenFirmware2.4] Can't boot on cdrom]

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:52:19PM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

> Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:10:27AM +0100, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> >>Try installing with floppies?
> >>
> >>http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/sid/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/boot.img
> >>http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/sid/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/root.img
>
> These ones doesn't work at the moment, it's impossible to load the
> net/cd-driver floppies, but I did try to install Sarge AND Woody and
> they both fail with quik. Reading around on the internet, it seems I
> have THE machine that causes problems! G3 beige with Open Firmware 2.4.
>
> So, with Woody AND Sarge (booting with BootX), I could install a
> complete Debian installation but it's impossible to boot on the new
> installation!

If you have MacOS, you could install a minimal partition for it, then
install debian but don't wipe away the small MacOS partition, and let
MacOS and BootX automatically boot into Debian. That's better then
throwing working hardware away. I'd say that is the easiest solution.

The other solution (when quik is not an option) is using miboot as a
boot-floppy into the installed system.

> >>In case quik turns out not to work on those beige G3 (seems it does
> >>work on some but not on others), you could use miboot for booting into
> >>the installed system too.
>
> So booting from a floppy?

Yes.

> >>If miboot works OK, on that model (on my perfomas the cpu will run at
> >>1/10th speed when booted by miboot), I could make you a miboot
> >>boot-floppy to boot into the installed system
>
> Great! the root partition is /dev/hda2 and the image is located in
> /boot/vmlinux I think (of course I can not boot anymore so I don't know
> the exact image name! 2.6.8 or something!).

This is the current sarge kernel, right? I have made miboot images
from current unstable sources compiled on an unstable system. I guess
I could do a sarge kernel/miboot-image also, but I am not sure what it
would take for that kernel to match the modules already installed on
your system? Would it have to be *built* on sarge too (in that case I
would have downgrade to sarge just to build it, not very interesting
alternative even if I don't need the box for anything particular).

> > Maybe we could make have miboot to be listed in mkvmlinuz's bootloader, and
> > have code in /etc/kernel/postinst.d to automatically create the miboot floppy
> > for you on installs.
>
> That could be a solution. If I understand, you mean I have to put a
> floppy in the G3 to boot and that's all. So the boot would be 'automatic'?

That would be cool.

> > Now that miboot is being freed, this would be a neat solution.

Indeed.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?