Re: [OpenFirmware2.4] Can't boot on cdrom ('loader: unrecognized client program format')

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 02:55:07PM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> I'm fighting with my G3 beige old world to install Sarge on it!
>
> It seems it's possible to boot on the cdrom with it:
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html#g3v2
>
> I did try that:
>
> 0 > setenv boot-device ide1/disk@0:0
> 0 > setenv boot-file \install\powerpc\vmlinux
> 0 > reset-all
>
> but it does not want to boot :'(
>
> If I try to boot 'live'
> 0 > boot ide1/disk@0:0,\install\powerpc\vmlinux
>
> OF says 'loader: unrecognized client program format'
>
> What is wrong with my string? Does someone know how I could boot on my
> cdrom?

The sarge CD isn't setup to boot on oldworld models. It's been discussed
here on this list the various reasons that no Debian CD image has ever
supported oldworld models directly. Also, the vmlinux file is not a file
that can be directly loaded by OF anyway. Normally, OF is given either
quik or yaboot, which then loads the kernel. However, quik doesn't
support being put on a CD, and yaboot doesn't support oldworld. It
should be possible to build a vmlinux.coff that could be directly
loaded by the OF on these boxes. I remember installing my 7600 that
way a long time ago, but that was before I switched to Debian.

> If I boot from the harddrive with bootx, it was ok but quik did not
> successfully install, so now, when I reboot, I have a black screen!
>
> Why does quik do not install is a futur question! ;-)

There are known issues with quik on beige G3. You can probably find
the discussions in past list threads. It's not a well supported
program anymore, given the age of the hardware it supports.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com