XFree86 - xorg questions

After a lot of false starts and general mucking-up, I've finally installed a semi-working Debian Sarge system on my iMac. Specs that might be relevant are:

15" FP display
800MHz PowerPC 7445 (G4) w/AltiVec
NVidia GeForce2 MX w/32MB DDR
SuperDrive (tray loading)

I've tried both Sarge and Etch and ran into problems with both of them, and the same problems with Ubuntu that I had with Etch. Right now, Sarge is installed and I've only updated and installed software from Main. I'd like some help/advice on how to proceed.

The XFree86 problem is that the key to open the SuperDrive doesn't work. There's no other way to open it, so I need to get this key working. It works with xorg if I chose "Macintosh" keyboard from Gnome's configuration, but that doesn't do anything with XFree86. One difference in the .conf files that might be the issue (section "Input Device"):

XFree86.conf:
Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"

xorg.conf:
Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"

The xorg problem is that I get no virtual terminals. When I Ctrl+Alt+Fn I get ... a bright green screen! Ctrl+Alt+F7 brings me back to xwindows without issue. But I would like the virtual terminals to work. I guess it's a module that might be causing the problem, but I don't know what. XFree86 doesn't have this problem. Differences in the .conf files (section "Modules"):

XFree86.conf:
Load	"GLcore"
Load	"speedo"

xorg.conf:
Load	"v4l"

Isn't speedo related to fonts? I don't know what "GLcore" or "v4l" are, but all other modules loaded in both configs are identical. Both configs use the "nv" driver, "DPMS", and have the same sync & refresh rates and the same mode lines, and both use "O666" as the "DRI" mode. (There's my problem -- 666! :-)

If anyone has any advice, I'd be much obliged. Knowing how to fix both problems would be great, but if I can only fix one, so be it. I can either stick with XFree86 if I can fix the keyboard layout or upgrade to xorg if I can fix the console problem. I suppose eventually I might have to know how to fix the xorg problem, but perhaps it won't be an issue eventually or maybe this machine will just die before I need to abandon XFree86. I tried playing around with xev and xmodmap (neither of which I really understand yet), but nothing happens when I press the key to open the drive. I don't care about the volume keys, I don't use them anyway.

Also, if I do move to xorg, what is the preferred method? Is there a backport, or should I install it from unstable?

TIA,
Michael