Pseudo-newbie looking for information about Debian and Quad G5

Hi!  I have been told that I must, as soon as possible, have Linux running on
a fast PowerPC.  The obvious choice for hardware is the quad G5.  The choice
for distro is less obvious, but someone told me Debian's PPC community is
active and healthy.

So, question #1:  Can Debian be installed and run usably on Quad G5 systems?

If this is something that "almost" works, I might be able to help; I can give
detailed bug reports, I am not afraid of the compiler, and so on.

In the immediate short term, I've swapped disks around and I'm installing on
a dual 2Ghz G5, but I'd like to move this to the quad ASAP.  (I will consider
other distros, or whatever, but I've always heard good things about Debian,
so...)

-s