Re: Files for BootX

Title: Re: Files for BootX

HI Chris,

I am trying to do a similar project of loading Debian Sarge on to a Mac 6500 old world powerpc using BootX.  Your serious of discussions has been most supportive.  I have encountered the same problems, but have not yet solved them all.

I first tried and succeeded in using BootX to load Yellow Dog Linux 3.1 which worlds OK on this older mac but is slow because I only have 64 Mb of ram.  But I got the idea of how to use BootX.   Once I realized that the Debian initrd.gz was to be stored in the mac partition (OS 9.1) as ramdisk.image.gz then I was able to start the Sarge installation from the CDs.  I learned the renaming technique from the Ubuntu lists but saw it repeated in your series of discussions.

Like you I could not reboot into Sarge once the first part of the installation had completed.  I was able to use the YDL vmlinux kernal to reboot and finish the Sarge setup.  So for a while I had a fully functional Sarge system running.  But then I turned off the computer.  It rebooted into Mac OS 9.1 and I open BootX to start Sarge.  The YDL kernel no longer worked but produced a kernal panic.

So I was happy to see that you worked out a sytem to actually copy back to the mac a working reboot kernel.  I'm having trouble following your example.  The line # chroot /mnt is followed by an error that there is no such directory.  But I can see it listed in the root director after # mkdir /mnt,  # ls commands.

Also # modprobe hfs doesn't work it also errors.

I've probably missed a step.  Have you been able to put together a list of steps that you followed to install Sarge?  I am wondering if I have mucked up my previous installation by going back in a second time to try the steps to mount the hfs partition.  Is there a way to check that?  Any reference that includes hfs seems to come back as no such directory.

Bye for now,

George

------

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of the contents of this email and/or any materials contained in any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, or are not the intended recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.