Re: AGPGART driver for ArticiaS - ioremap() problem

That's the problem: we don't have the datasheet for the ArticiaS. :-(
But the driver initializes correctly with the Uninorth code now and with the
DRI/DRM code changed. (The code in drm_vm.c checks for Apple's PCI vendor
ID. Therefore I just added a check for MAI's PCI vendor ID.) But the X
server freezes after the login screen is displayed (IIRC the mouse still
works, but the keyboard is dead!?).

BTW: A "agp_special_page" is reserved in init.c. Is this page necessary for
the DRI/DRM drivers to work with the Uninorth driver? I enabled this code
snipped for the AmigaONE too to be on the safe side. :-)

> I would need more infos about the hw there. But the basic idea is:
>
>  - For the GART table, you don't need to ioremap it (which is generally
> a way to have it non-cacheable I suppose). You can just flush cache
> entries after populating them (see uninorth_insert_memory(), it flushes
> first the pages that are being inserted in the GART as AGP memory is not
> cacheable neither, and at the end of the function, flushes the GART
> entry proper).
There may be another problem: it seems that it is not possible to flush the
TLB cache of the ArticiaS with a specific register setting. At least MAI
didn't specify a bit for this purpose in the code. I have to do some reverse
engineering here. :-)

>  - The AGP aperture itself. The main issue there is wether your chipset
> makes the AGP aperture visible to the CPU or not. The Apple UniNorth one
> doesn't for example, it;'s only visible to the graphic chip. That is why
> the uninorth driver sets cant_use_aperture to 1. That forces the DRM to
> generate AGP mappings by using the real memory pages and putting them
> together into a virtual mapping instead of doing a direct mapping of the
> AGP aperture on the bus. Most x86 chipsets however _can_, thus a simple
> remapping of pages is enough.
Good question! How would I have to modify the Uninorth driver to use a
direct mapping of the AGP aperture on the bus?

Thanks!

Gerhard

--
DSL-Aktion wegen großer Nachfrage bis 28.2.2006 verlängert:
GMX DSL-Flatrate 1 Jahr kostenlos* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl