Re: xorg-6.9.0

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 the mental interface of
Ben Racher told:

> Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >last night I upgraded to xorg 6.9.0.dfsg.1-2. First I had to do a
> >ldconfig by hand, because startx was complaining about missing libs.
> >
> >Starting X then freezes my PowerBook5,6 completely. No net, no
> >console.  So I had to hard reset the machine. I tried the following:
> >
> >Recreating a xorg.conf by dpkg-reconfigure -> no success
> >
> >Switching from ati(radeon) driver to fbdev -> no success, but no
> >freeze.
> >
> >Switching from 24 to 16 DefaultDepth + fbdev -> no success, X shows
> >the wm splashscreen with an cross cursor similar to the twm one but
> >shuts down after a while.
> >
> >Installing libgl1-mesa-dri in the hope r300 is used with radeon
> >driver -> frozen machine.
> >
> >Are there significant changes from 6.8.2 to 6.9.0 which I have
> >overseen?
> >
> >Elimar
> >

> I'm experiencing similar freezing on my powerbook 5,4 with ATI mobility radio
> 9600, after upgrading to 6.9.0 Have you figured out what's wrong at all? Could
> you point to any links, is it the ATI driver? I finally just downgraded back
> down to 6.8.2 after fiddling with it forever... jeez, what a waste of time for
> me. Thanks.

I've tried
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2006/01/msg00680.html
and were able to run X. But only in 2-D Mode. DRI doesn't work but
freezes with both xlibmesa and libgl1-mesa. The newest DRI modules
are in my kernel, though. The 2-D mode shows some errors related to
my synaptic driver which I didn't investigate yet.

Elimar

--
    .~.
    /V\   L   I   N   U   X