powercenter ethernet problem (mace)

Hey guys first post!

I have a problem with my PowerCenter Pro 180, I have tried both Debian 3.0r5 and also 3.1r1.

The Ethernet refuses to function correctly, I can assign it an ip and bring it up – but as soon as

It has received the exact same number of bytes that the MTU is set to, it will not respond. If I change

The mtu to 1000 or so and down/up the interface it will talk intermittently.

I’ve tried additional network cards but they aren’t picked up by the machine, they make a brief

appearance in dmesg (the pci bios has not enabled the device at xxx..)

Are these two problems interrelated?

Does anyone know why its doing this and how it can be corrected?

Cheers,

logik