Re: quik 7300 Auto of scan range

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 05:56:32PM -0200, Fábio Rabelo wrote:
> Hi all .
> I am trying to install Sarge on 7300/G3 333 Upgrade/512 MB ram 4 GB HD SCSI
> This machine are been retired from graphics job in a costumer of mine,
> so I will try to turn it in a firewall/ftp .
> The documentation about installing Sarge with BootX in an old world is
> outdated .
> The name of files ( kernel and initrd ) are wrong .
> Passed this issue, the instaler works fine ( realy much better then
> Woody ! ) .
> At the very end of install proccess, the instaler warn about Quik, but
> installs it ( cool !!!! )
> But after that, in the first boot within Sarge, my monitor just shows a
> msg "scan ou of range" .
> The noise from HD sugests the boot is going fine, but I can do anything
> from that on .

OK. But if quik boots alright, then what good would it be to boot with
BootX instead?

One simple test is to press Ctrl-alt-delete. If the box reboots, then
it was properly booted.

> I can use bootX in this machine, there are room in HD, but how can I
> copy a suitable Kernel to MAC OS partition without a normal boot ?

I would use the debian-installer as a rescue system and chroot into
the installed system and investigate the problem the monitor. If the
box is connected to a network, I would install ssh so one could ssh
into it when/if there is no display.

If it turns out that quik does not really boot the box (in spite of
the sound that you interpreted as a successful boot), then (still
within the chroot) mount the MacOS partition and copy the kernel +
initrd to that partition for use with BootX.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E