Re: Boot in console not X [Was]Re: X server problem

On (05/01/06 13:35), David Pead wrote:
> Now however, in my fumbling around trying to fix the Xserver I've messed up
> the keyboard mapping. I need to get back to the command line to reconfigure
> but can't use the usual alt-F1. How can I boot and not start the X server?
> Can I hold down a key when Linux starts? I use bootX to boot, can I pass an
> argument of somesort to go straight to the console?

If you've got ssh installed, it is often easier to boot the machine and
login from elsewhere and run something like:
dpkg-reconfigure console-data

I remember being bitten by a keymap problem on my first ever debian
install when I knew virtually nothing and trying to create a paper based
map to try to input commands ... very silly :)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...