powerbook 12 freezes on "MMU:EXIT, setup"

Hello everybody,
I'm Marco, this is the first time I write on this mailing list.
Hope not to seem too stupid, I'm just a new user to Debian.
I've been given the last Debian Etch Testing for PowerPC but when my PowerBook 12 (G4 1.5Ghz) boots the first cd it just freezes on:

MMU: mapin
MMU: setio
MMU: exit
setup_

Kernel should be 2.6.12.
Since I have a slow connection to the internet I can't download an updated version; but I've found a cd with Ubuntu 5.04 (kernel 2.6.8 if I'm not mistaken) and I've installed it: the computer boots.
I've upgraded to kernel 2.6.14 and I get exactly the same problem, the computer freezes on "MMU: exit, setup".
I've also tried with the Ubuntu 5.10 live cd (kernel 2.6.10 if I'm not mistaken): same problem.

Anybody could please give me an hint?
Is this a bug?
Sarge 3.1_r0 works fine on the PowerBook 12.
On my iMac G4 800 no freezes at startup no matter what version of the kernel.

Thank you so much,

Marco - trive@poc.it

"Microsoft: "You have questions. We have dancing paperclips""