Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

On 11/30/05, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
Do you occasionally see weird Oopses or apps segfaulting  or is this
your only problem ? I wonder if it could be bad RAM, though I doubt it.

Nothing unexpected that would point to RAM. I was trying to remember the last segfault I had and I cannot. (Though MY personal memory isn't so great!) I do occasionally see odd messages in dmesg about the hard drive, and Xorg won't let me switch to virtual consoles using keyboard commands. But I can switch by opening a terminal window and using the chvt command, so that's probably a configuration issue I haven't tracked down.

> MY system (apparently nobody else's) only shuts down when pbbuttonsd
> 0.7.1 is running.

pbbuttons is continuously sending commands to the PMU, thus it really
points to a possible issue with the PMU driver, though I'm surprised as
I never had any problem of that sort on any of my laptops.

If you know another way to generate lots of PMU activity I'd be happy to try it. Maybe a shell script sending random harmless things to pbbcmd ?

P.S.: Under Xwindows I use gdm and xfce4 ... not many bells and whistles compared to KDE but more suited to the 266 Mhz processor. I'm mentioning that just in case it matters somewhere.