G5 install problem - no network

Hi,

I've got myself a refurb 1.8 GHz single processor powermac, according to /proc/cpuinfo this is a PPC970FX PowerMac9,1 detected as 337 (PowerMac G5). This is the second version, with the cheaper motherboard.

My problem is that the nic doesn't seem to work in linux (although osx gets a lease from my dhcp server without any difficulty). Latest attempt was with today's version of Sven's d-i powerpc64/netboot64/ mini.iso - dhcp fails to get a lease and complains that my server may be slow in responding, so I assigned a static address with ifconfig : eth0 appears to be up, I set up the routing tables, echo'd some nameservers into resolv.conf, but the installer fails to load the releases file from any debian mirror I try, and other boxes on my network can't ping the G5.

The sungem module is loaded. I'm more than a little puzzled - the box works adequately in osx (increased and tested memory yesterday, partitioned, reinstalled panther, upgraded to tiger) but it just doesn't want to network with linux.

 Any suggestions, please ?

Ken