Re: Same kernel recognizes network cards in different order

On 09/11/2005 at 03:35 +0000, Paul Brossier wrote:

> Adding the module of the card you want first at the end of /etc/modules
> should do the trick just as well,

No, with recent versions of udev (unstable) some modules are loaded
by udev (I guess) before init scripts processing /etc/modules.

I have a system (i386) with 2 ethernet nics (different modules) and they
were detected randomly as eth0 and eth1 even though I have the 2 modules
in /etc/modules in the order I want.

This happened to me last week both; with 2.6.14 and 2.6.13.x.

The "way to go" is to tell udev to assign the names you want to the
interfaces.
(see http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/10/msg00302.html).

This is if you use udev, of course. If not, forget this.

--
Kiko
Private mail is preferred encrypted: