Re: partition problem

GONG Jie <neo@mamiyami.com> writes:

> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 21:19, William Xu wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> I have an 80G removable hard disk, which i divided into 40G xfs + 40G
>> vfat partitions. (In detail, cfdisk first, then mkfs.xfs and mkfs.vfat
>> for each partition.)
>> on linux, i could mount both partitions - sda1, sda5 successfully. But
>> on windows (i wish it could access the 40G vfat partition), it can't
>> recognize the disk. What's wrong here?
>>

> I think the problem is the partition type of the extended partition.  I
> guess you create a extended partition with type 5 (Extended) or 85
> (Linux extended).  But for Windows, you should create a extended
> partition with type f (Win95 Extended LBA).

Hmm, you may be right. I didn't touch that. So its partition type is
still the default value - Linux(82)

But i have data on sda5 already. Can i change the file system type(i
guess partition type refers to primary/logical, right?), i.e., change
from linux to win95 Extended LBA, without damaging the data?

> Change your sda2 partition type to f.  (I guess sda2 is your extended
> partition) And re-created sda5, then re-format sda5 with vfat may helps
> you solve this problem.

There's nothing on sda2. I don't know why the removable hard disk skips
sda2, sda3 and sda4. Actually, i'm confused with `mac-fdisk -l's
output. Can't figure out which is the extended partition.

--
William

((email . "william.xwl@gmail.com")
 (blog  . "http://matchsticker.mysmth.net";))