Re: hfs boot floppy versions

Hi all,

On  31 Oct, this message from Brad Boyer echoed through cyberspace:
>> >I'm pretty sure my 7600 reset everything on a mac boot sequence. I
>> >know it cleared out the patch for the control video mode bug.

Confirmed.

>> Which was a forth function you somehow stored in nvram (the control
>> cidmode patch)?
>
> I don't remember the exact details, but it was forth code. I probably
> have a copy of it if you want it. It pulled some tricks with the
> drivers for /chaos/control and via-cuda to stabilize the display.

You probably mean this here:

---- start forth code ----
dev /bandit/gc/via-cuda
' write value &W
: -&We &W swap - execute ;
: P1 4D8 -&We false 548 -&We ;
&W FC + ' P1 BLpatch
: P2 0C 2 ms ;
&W E0 + ' P2 BLpatch
device-end
---- end forth code ----

The source can be found here:

http://www.cpu.lu/~mlan/linux/Alan-s.OF.patch

I also have this patch to the xcoff loader, which some of you may be
interested in:

---- start forth code ----
4180FFF0 ' msr! 44 + code!

dev /packages/xcoff-loader
: p&+ ['] open 600 - + ;

: p3 { _a _s }
        _a -1000 and _a _s + over - FFF ( + -1000 and )
;

60000000 dup 8 p&+ code! C p&+ code!
18 p&+ ' p3 BLpatch
device-end
---- end forth code ----

I have no idea what the first line, or the last 3 lines, do. I probably
have these bits from one of the *bsds and their extensive OF doc.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |