Re: Debian on IBM i5 servers ?

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 06:14:47PM +0100, Pascal Kirscher (SES) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if a future Debian release will work on IBM i5
> server (previous names iSeries or AS/400) that are based on 64 bits
> PowerPC processors ?

Newer iseries (those using the power5 processor and are just disguised pseries
as i understand) are supported. Older iseries are currently not, but mostly
because i lacked someone with access to the hardware which would help us
fine-tune the configuration files. I will do a powerpc64-legacy flavours for
those machines once someone interested in it shows up, and i guess you
qualify :)

Do you have a recent kernel running on such hardware, and if so can you send
us the .config options used for it ? I will try to get it in  2.6.14-3 in
unstable, and debian-installer beta2 should have support for it, but not the
upcoming beta1. Oh, and we also need help debugging debian-installer for this
hardware.

Friendly,

Sven Luther