Re: pbbuttonsd vs. mouseemu

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:49:38 +0100
Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 10:34:39PM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> > Hi,
> > during bootup mouseemu starts before pbbuttonsd. After that pbbuttonsd
> > doesn't care about _any_ keyboard events. Brightness/Volume control,
> > etc. doesn't work.
> > Restarting pbbuttonsd "fixes" this. Restarting mouseemu breaks it again.
> > Anybody else seen this? This is fairly old (USB 1.1) 12" PB.
>
> This is probably Bug #304734. Sorry, but as my PowerBook got stolen, I'm
> currently unable to work on this. I just ordered a new one and will
> hopefully find some time to work on mouseemu when it arrives. In the
> meantime feel free to fix and NMU. The problem is to find a solution,
> that does not break mouseemu (as does not reintroduce to passthrough of
> the mouse button hotkeys).

I think the main problem here is that mouseemu EVIOCGRAB all keyboard
event devices and therefore block them for other programs like pbbuttonsd.
Is it necessary that mouseemu block event devices?

What I don't understand is why it sometimes works? I use kernel 2.4.12
and something like EVIOCGRAB is already implemented and I have mouseemu
and pbbuttonsd running without problems. Mouseemu was started first.

According my theory from above mouseemu should block all keyboard
devices and pbbuttonsd won't work anymore. But this doesn't happen.
This leads to the conclusion that EVIOCGRAB is not fully functional in
2.6.12. Can anyone confirm this?

  Best regards
    Matthias