Re: 2.6.14-rc5 uploaded to experimental available at http://people.debian.org/~luther/2.6.14-rc5

Sven Luther declared on Sunday 30 October 2005 03:16 pm:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 12:35:55AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> >
> > You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version
> > 2.6.14-rc5-powerpc) while running a kernel of version
> > 2.4.27-powerpc, but
>
> Why in hell are you running a 2.4.27 kernel ? This was not the default
> sarge kernel and i expicitly mentioned it should not be used, having
> been mostly abandoned upstream over two years ago.

As I said in my other email, I couldn't install using the sarge netboot
installer (missing yaboot binary and config, and the woody yaboot
wouldn't load the initrd.gz that is available for netbooting).  So, I
installed woody, and dist-upgraded to testing.

I've tried installing other 2.6 kernels, but (as I said before), they all
kernel panic when loading the ide driver for the chipset on the machine
(blue&white G3).

If I wanted to be running a 2.4 kernel, why do you think I'd be trying to
upgrade to a 2.6 kernel, anyways? ;)

> > you have no suitable ramdisk generation tool installed among
> > /usr/sbin/mkinitrd /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs.
> > This will break the installation, unless a
> > suitable ramdisk generation tool is also being installed right
> > now.
>
> Exact, yaird cannot build initrd's running on a 2.4.27 kernel, since
> it need /sys, which is only present in 2.6 kernels.
>
> So, you have two ways, either use initramfs-tools instead of yaird
> (altough mostly untested on powerpc, may work though), or do an
> intermediary upgrade to the sarge 2.6.8 kernels or the etch 2.6.12
> ones, reboot and then install, not the 2.6.14-rc5 kernels, but the
> 2.6.14-1 currently in sid.

As I said before, 2.6.8 and 2.6.12 debian kernels panic on boot when
they're loading the driver for my IDE controller (cmd646 chipset on a
blue&white G3).  I was trying to install 2.6.14 to see if that fixes the
problem I was having, but it seems to have its own problems in being
installed from a system running a 2.4.27 kernel.

> > Could not find . at /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst line 228.
> > Setting up linux-image-2.6.14-rc5-powerpc
> > (2.6.13+2.6.14-rc5-0experimental.1) ... Failed to find suitable
> > ramdisk generation tool for kernel version 2.6.14-rc5-powerpc on
> > running kernel 2.4.27-powerpc in /usr/sbin/mkinitrd
> > /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs
> > dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.14-rc5-powerpc (--configure):
> >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  linux-image-2.6.14-rc5-powerpc
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> As expected, i am happy it works as planed, but maybe i should put
> more informative error message in it or something.

Pat