Re: Installing Lame

Hi there, Anthony.

On Oct 26 2005, anthony iles wrote:
> I use Audacity to edit audio files. To export as mp3 or aiff I need
> Lame encoder - when I try to export in these formats from Audacity it
> asks me to locate the libmp3lame.so file/library.

As the maintainer of the debian packaging of lame (upstream), I would
suggest that you grab the latest released sources from sourceforge (see
sf.net/projects/lame).

Then, try to compile the version 3.87beta (don't be scared about the
beta in the name of the package---it's actually quite stable and works
well) to generate three debian packages for your system, one of them
being libmp3lame0, which audacity needs (yes, I do some recordings with
Audacity also).

Please install debhelper, build-essential and fakeroot to compile lame
"the Debian way", then enter the main directory and, finally, issue
something like:

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot

In a few moments you should get your shiny new packages compiled.

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/